Linear functions and Word Problems  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Linear functions and Word Problems

Postby helpmepass on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:06 am

I hate word problems I need help here. If you can explain how to get the answers I would appreciate it.

If c is zero of the linear function defined by f(x)=mx+b, m not eqaul to 0, then the point at which the graph intersects the x-axis has coordinates (__ ,__).
Is this 0, any sets of real numbers ?

If you were asked to solve 2x+3=4x-12 by the x-intercept method, why would you not get the correct answer by graphing y1= 2x+3 – 4x -12.
I know this has to be analytically broken down. You need the y2 to graph it.? Can anyone word this better?

Suppose two acid solutions are mixed. One is 26% acid and the other is 32% acid. Which one of the following concentrations cannot possibly be the concentration of the mixture? A. 36% B. 28% C.30% D.31%
I have no clue. I'm going to guess and say A.

Suppose that a computer that originally sold for x dollars has been discounted 30%. Which one of the following expressions does not represent the sale price of the computer? A. x – 0.30x B. 0.70x C. 7/10x D. x – 0.30
I'm just going to guess here and say D. because the coefficient needs a variable?

At 2:00PM a runner heads north on a highway, jogging at 10 miles per hour. At 2:30PM a driver heads north on the same highway to pick up the runner. If the car travels at 55 miles per hour, how long will it take the driver to catch the runner?
How should I formulate this to figure it out?
helpmepass
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:54 am

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Linear functions and Word Problems  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby nona.m.nona on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:16 pm

helpmepass wrote:If c is zero of the linear function defined by f(x)=mx+b, m not eqaul to 0, then the point at which the graph intersects the x-axis has coordinates (__ ,__).
Is this 0, any sets of real numbers ?

This exercise reads as though the author's first language is not English. At a guess, you are being asked about the properties of x-intercepts. To learn about this, try this lesson.

helpmepass wrote:If you were asked to solve 2x+3=4x-12 by the x-intercept method, why would you not get the correct answer by graphing y1= 2x+3 – 4x -12.
I know this has to be analytically broken down. You need the y2 to graph it.? Can anyone word this better?

What is "solving by the x-intercept method"?

helpmepass wrote:Suppose two acid solutions are mixed. One is 26% acid and the other is 32% acid. Which one of the following concentrations cannot possibly be the concentration of the mixture? A. 36% B. 28% C.30% D.31%
I have no clue. I'm going to guess and say A.

To learn how to set up and solve this "mixture" sort of exercise, try this lesson.

helpmepass wrote:Suppose that a computer that originally sold for x dollars has been discounted 30%. Which one of the following expressions does not represent the sale price of the computer? A. x – 0.30x B. 0.70x C. 7/10x D. x – 0.30
I'm just going to guess here and say D. because the coefficient needs a variable?

What would be an expression for "thirty percent of the original price was subtracted from the original price"? What expression would be a simplification of this expression? What is the logic of each of the four listed options? Which one does not fit the logic of the exercise?

helpmepass wrote:At 2:00PM a runner heads north on a highway, jogging at 10 miles per hour. At 2:30PM a driver heads north on the same highway to pick up the runner. If the car travels at 55 miles per hour, how long will it take the driver to catch the runner?
How should I formulate this to figure it out?

To learn how to set up and solve this "uniform rate" sort of exercise, try this lesson.
nona.m.nona
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:07 pm


Return to Beginning Algebra