System of equations by elimination and substitution  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

System of equations by elimination and substitution

Postby onmyown on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:43 pm

Can someone please help me solve this system of equation by elimination and/or substitution. I'm specifically looking for a demonstration of this format of a system being solved by elimination and/or substitution.
I only get how to do systems that are in the form of y=x+a y=x-b and etc. i.e. where the variables are on the same side of both the equations.

Here is the system I'm trying to solve by elimination, where the variables are on different sides of the equation:
y=x+5
x+y=95

I can show you my attempts if you would like.
onmyown

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 pm

onmyown wrote:I only get how to do systems that are in the form of y=x+a y=x-b and etc. i.e. where the variables are on the same side of both the equations.

Ah. So you need to learn how to solve, for instance, the second equation you posted for "y=". To learn how to do this, try this lesson.

Note: To solve the posted system by substitution, rather than elimination (by getting all the variables "lined up" in the specified way), just substitute! You have "y = (something)" in one equation and another equation which contains "y". Plug the "(something)" from the first equation in place of "y" in the second equation, and solve. Etc, etc. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re:

Postby onmyown on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 am

stapel_eliz wrote:
onmyown wrote:I only get how to do systems that are in the form of y=x+a y=x-b and etc. i.e. where the variables are on the same side of both the equations.

Ah. So you need to learn how to solve, for instance, the second equation you posted for "y=". To learn how to do this, try this lesson.

Note: To solve the posted system by substitution, rather than elimination (by getting all the variables "lined up" in the specified way), just substitute! You have "y = (something)" in one equation and another equation which contains "y". Plug the "(something)" from the first equation in place of "y" in the second equation, and solve. Etc, etc. :wink:

THANKS! I got it. Can't believe I didn't catch on to that before
onmyown

Return to Beginning Algebra