Help with Solving an Equation Containing Radicals...  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Help with Solving an Equation Containing Radicals...

Postby maroonblazer on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi,
I've got the following problem:


I add y to both sides to rid y on the right. Then I subtract 1 from both sides to get this:



Divide both sides by 2 to get:


then divide by to get:


multiply the fraction by to get rid of the radical and that leaves me with:


The book gives the answer as:


I can't tell where I've taken a wrong step.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
mb
maroonblazer
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Help with Solving an Equation Containing Radicals...

Postby Martingale on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:05 pm

maroonblazer wrote:Hi,
I've got the following problem:


I add y to both sides to rid y on the right. Then I subtract 1 from both sides to get this:





this is not correct
User avatar
Martingale
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:30 pm
Location: USA

Re: Help with Solving an Equation Containing Radicals...

Postby maroonblazer on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:48 am

Martingale wrote:
maroonblazer wrote:Hi,
I've got the following problem:


I add y to both sides to rid y on the right. Then I subtract 1 from both sides to get this:





this is not correct


Ah, ok, thanks. Instead, I think I should have done:



Multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate, , to get:


which simplifies to:


Thanks again!
mb
maroonblazer
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am

  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:55 pm

maroonblazer wrote:Instead, I think I should have done:



Multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate, ...

What "numerator and denominator"? Or do you mean that you first divided through to get by itself? If so, then:

. . . . .

. . . . .

Then you did the multiplication by to get:

. . . . .

maroonblazer wrote:

How did the multiply only on the and not also the :wink:
User avatar
stapel_eliz
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Re:

Postby maroonblazer on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:
maroonblazer wrote:Instead, I think I should have done:



Multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate, ...

What "numerator and denominator"? Or do you mean that you first divided through to get by itself? If so, then:

. . . . .

. . . . .

Then you did the multiplication by to get:

. . . . .

maroonblazer wrote:

How did the multiply only on the and not also the :wink:


Sorry, yes, I skipped a step above. And you're right - I should've multiplied on the too. :oops:
maroonblazer
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 am


Return to Beginning Algebra