Write 2/(-3i), (5-3i)/(3+2i) in a+bi form; make y^2-8y sqr  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Write 2/(-3i), (5-3i)/(3+2i) in a+bi form; make y^2-8y sqr

Postby dsparklez on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 pm

These are problems that are on the study guide for the next test. I need some help understanding them and working them.

Write in a+bi form.
First Problem: 2/(-3i)

Second Problem: (5 - 3i)/(3 + 2i)

Third Problem: Add a constant term to make the term a perfect square: y^2-8y

Also is there a good book that explains Algebra concepts in simplistic terms?
dsparklez

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Write 2/(-3i), (5-3i)/(3+2i) in a+bi form; make y^2-8y s  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby maggiemagnet on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:49 pm

dsparklez wrote:Write in a+bi form.
First Problem: 2/(-3i)

Second Problem: (5 - 3i)/(3 + 2i)

To learn how to "rationalize" complex denominators, try here. (Scroll down about halfway for a very useful example for your "First Problem".)

dsparklez wrote:Third Problem: Add a constant term to make the term a perfect square: y^2-8y

You can learn the pattern for perfect-square trinomials here. (Scroll down toward the bottom to get to the part on perfect squares.) Once you know the pattern, I'll bet you can figure out what you need to do with the -8 to find the number you need to add. :thumb:

dsparklez wrote:Also is there a good book that explains Algebra concepts in simplistic terms?

There are probably "Dummies" algebra books. Have you tried your local library or bookstore?

If you get stuck working any of the three Problems you've posted, please reply showing your work (after you've studied the lessons, so you can get started). Thanks!
maggiemagnet

Return to Beginning Algebra