Word Prob: One number is 4 more than another number....  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Word Prob: One number is 4 more than another number....

Postby Bgreen on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:24 am

One number is 4 more than another number. Find the two numbers if two times the larger number is less than five times the small number. How do I work this problem?
Bgreen

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Bgreen wrote:One number is 4 more than another number. Find the two numbers if two times the larger number is less than five times the small number. How do I work this problem?

To learn how to set up and solve this sort of exercise, try this lesson on "number" word problems. :wink:

Once you have studied the lesson and learned the basic terms and techniques, please attempt the exercise using the methodology explained there:

i) The "one number" is defined in terms of "another number", so pick a variable for "another number".

ii) Using this variable, create an expression for "4 more than" this other number. Note that this expression clearly stands for "the larger number".

By the way, I think there is a typo in what you have posted, since it results in an inequality ("is less than") rather than an equation. :confused:
stapel_eliz

Return to Beginning Algebra