[SPLIT] Combining like terms: 5X-10X to 2nd+15-4X to 2nd+7X-6-10  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simple patterns, variables, the order of operations, simplification, evaluation, linear equations and graphs, etc.

[SPLIT] Combining like terms: 5X-10X to 2nd+15-4X to 2nd+7X-6-10

Postby ellistyrone on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:05 pm

How can I get a better understanding of this immediate algebra class that i'm taking online the professor goes so fast and make so many mistakes that its so confusing to where as I'm not even trying to pass this class I'm ready to give up.
she showed us examples on combine like terms but its was an simple one I stuck on the first one like this
5X - 10X to the 2nd power + 15 - 4X to the 2nd power + 7X - 6 - 10 + 7 x to the 2nd power it says combine like term.so how do i suppose to combine the terms: that's all i know.

5x + 7x

10x2 - 4x2 + 7x2

15- 6 - 10
ellistyrone

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:58 pm

ellistyrone wrote:How can I get a better understanding of this immediate algebra class that i'm taking online...?

I've yet to hear anything good about online math courses. You have my sympathies! :shock:

ellistyrone wrote:5X - 10X to the 2nd power + 15 - 4X to the 2nd power + 7X - 6 - 10 + 7 x to the 2nd power it says combine like term.so how do i suppose to combine the terms

To learn how to combine "like" terms, you'll need to study some lessons on the topic. (Please review at least two lessons from the link.)

Your formatting is unclear, but I think you mean the following:

. . . . .

If so, then a good start is to rearrange the terms, keeping their signs with them, so that terms of different types (contants, terms with just "x", and terms with "x2") are grouped together:

. . . . .

Then you add and subtract ("combine") the terms of the same types (the "like" terms):

. . . . .

Can you take it from there? :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Pre-Algebra