Fractions: How does 18/12 become 1 and 6/12?  TOPIC_SOLVED

Fractions, ratios, percentages, exponents, number patterns, word problems without variables, etc.

Fractions: How does 18/12 become 1 and 6/12?

Postby English on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Hello there! I'm new in the forum. It's been awhile since I've been in a math class. I started a beginning algebra class just last week and am trying to review a little before I jump into my homework.

I'm stuck on the concept of fractions and want to know, when reducing fractions, how does that whole number get figured into the sum? If I were reducing 18/12, how would it become 1 and 6/12? I don't get how the 1 got there. :confused:

I hope that makes sense. (If there are codes I can use to format fractions correctly on these boards, please let me know that also!) Thanks so much!
English

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:47 pm

English wrote:I'm stuck on the concept of fractions and want to know, when reducing fractions, how does that whole number get figured into the sum? If I were reducing 18/12, how would it become 1 and 6/12? I don't get how the 1 got there.

Do the long division! Eighteen divided by twelve gives one, with a remainder of six. The whole-number part of the answer (namely, the "1") is the whole-number part of the mixed number. The remainder-over-the-divisor part (namely, the "6" over the "12", which of course reduces to "1/2") is the fractional part of the mixed number. (You can view worked examples here.)

English wrote:If there are codes I can use to format fractions correctly on these boards, please let me know that also!

The formatting you used was fine :wink: but you can read an article on the topic here. You can also use the LaTeX capability of the forums: Click the "tex" button in the line of formatting commands, and enter the following:

\frac{18}{12}

...to get:

. . . . .

Have fun! :D

Eliz.
stapel_eliz

Return to Arithmetic