Word Problem Percentage  TOPIC_SOLVED

Fractions, ratios, percentages, exponents, number patterns, word problems without variables, etc.

Word Problem Percentage

Postby Tomtom on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Hello

I've been working on types of percentages and have been stumped.on the following questions.

What percent of 63 is 88.7? I thought solving would be 63/88.7 and then multiply the answer by 100. The correct answer is 140.8%.

112 is what percent of 121.6? I used the above.formula with no success. The answer given is 92.1.

Is it because of the decimals that my calculations are wrong?

I would appreciate it if someone could show me the correct way to solve these problems.
Tomtom

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Word Problem Percentage

Postby maggiemagnet on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:13 am

Tomtom wrote:I would appreciate it if someone could show me the correct way to solve these problems.

They show you, with examples, right here!
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Postby Tomtom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks for responding Maggie, I did take a look at the page but seem to still be having a problem with my examples as I am getting different answers then what is the "correct" answer. Could you tell me if I'm using the right formula to solve?
Tomtom

Postby maggiemagnet on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am

Tomtom wrote:Thanks for responding Maggie, I did take a look at the page but seem to still be having a problem with my examples as I am getting different answers then what is the "correct" answer. Could you tell me if I'm using the right formula to solve?

What formula are you using?
maggiemagnet

Postby Tomtom on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 pm

maggiemagnet wrote:
Tomtom wrote:Thanks for responding Maggie, I did take a look at the page but seem to still be having a problem with my examples as I am getting different answers then what is the "correct" answer. Could you tell me if I'm using the right formula to solve?

What formula are you using?

Division and then.multiplication. Please look at original post, I put my calculations down

Thanks
Tomtom

Re: Word Problem Percentage  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby FWT on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Tomtom wrote:Division and then.multiplication. Please look at original post, I put my calculations down

I see dividing and multiplying but I dont see a formula. They give you a formula at the link in the first reply: "(this) is (some percent) of (that)" which means (this) = (decimal %)*(that). Try using that so "What percent of 63 is 88.7?" is (x %)*(63) = (88.7) Then you solve for x.
FWT

Postby Tomtom on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm

FWT wrote:I see dividing and multiplying but I dont see a formula. They give you a formula at the link in the first reply: "(this) is (some percent) of (that)" which means (this) = (decimal %)*(that). Try using that so "What percent of 63 is 88.7?" is (x %)*(63) = (88.7) Then you solve for x.

Thanks.
Tomtom

Return to Arithmetic