Word Problem Percentage  TOPIC_SOLVED

Fractions, ratios, percentages, exponents, number patterns, word problems without variables, etc.

Word Problem Percentage

Postby Tomtom on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Hello

I've been working on types of percentages and have been stumped.on the following questions.

What percent of 63 is 88.7? I thought solving would be 63/88.7 and then multiply the answer by 100. The correct answer is 140.8%.

112 is what percent of 121.6? I used the above.formula with no success. The answer given is 92.1.

Is it because of the decimals that my calculations are wrong?

I would appreciate it if someone could show me the correct way to solve these problems.
Tomtom
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Word Problem Percentage

Postby maggiemagnet on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:13 am

Tomtom wrote:I would appreciate it if someone could show me the correct way to solve these problems.

They show you, with examples, right here!
:clap:
User avatar
maggiemagnet
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:32 am

Re: Word Problem Percentage

Postby Tomtom on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks for responding Maggie, I did take a look at the page but seem to still be having a problem with my examples as I am getting different answers then what is the "correct" answer. Could you tell me if I'm using the right formula to solve?
Tomtom
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Word Problem Percentage

Postby maggiemagnet on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am

Tomtom wrote:Thanks for responding Maggie, I did take a look at the page but seem to still be having a problem with my examples as I am getting different answers then what is the "correct" answer. Could you tell me if I'm using the right formula to solve?

What formula are you using?
:clap:
User avatar
maggiemagnet
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:32 am

Re: Word Problem Percentage

Postby Tomtom on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 pm

maggiemagnet wrote:
Tomtom wrote:Thanks for responding Maggie, I did take a look at the page but seem to still be having a problem with my examples as I am getting different answers then what is the "correct" answer. Could you tell me if I'm using the right formula to solve?

What formula are you using?
:clap:


Division and then.multiplication. Please look at original post, I put my calculations down


Thanks
Tomtom
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Word Problem Percentage  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby FWT on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Tomtom wrote:Division and then.multiplication. Please look at original post, I put my calculations down

I see dividing and multiplying but I dont see a formula. They give you a formula at the link in the first reply: "(this) is (some percent) of (that)" which means (this) = (decimal %)*(that). Try using that so "What percent of 63 is 88.7?" is (x %)*(63) = (88.7) Then you solve for x.
FWT
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Word Problem Percentage

Postby Tomtom on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm

FWT wrote:I see dividing and multiplying but I dont see a formula. They give you a formula at the link in the first reply: "(this) is (some percent) of (that)" which means (this) = (decimal %)*(that). Try using that so "What percent of 63 is 88.7?" is (x %)*(63) = (88.7) Then you solve for x.



Thanks.
Tomtom
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm


Return to Arithmetic