finding a simple solution to (-8)^(4/3)

Fractions, ratios, percentages, exponents, number patterns, word problems without variables, etc.
jazzyjaz

finding a simple solution to (-8)^(4/3)

Postby jazzyjaz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 am

Hi,

I got this to find the answer:

(-8) with a 4/3 exponent

The answer in the book says 16, but i dont understand what to do to and how to achieve 16 as a result. Can someone help me and explain how you get to 16.

stapel_eliz

Postby stapel_eliz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:15 pm

jazzyjaz wrote:I got this to find the answer:

(-8) with a 4/3 exponent

The answer in the book says 16, but i dont understand what to do to and how to achieve 16 as a result. Can someone help me and explain how you get to 16.

Are you having trouble with the negative number, with exponents in general, or with fractional exponents specifically, such as how they relate to radicals?

When you reply, please show what you've tried so far. Thank you! :wink:

jazzyjaz

Re:

Postby jazzyjaz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:35 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:
jazzyjaz wrote:I got this to find the answer:

(-8) with a 4/3 exponent

Are you having trouble with the negative number, with exponents in general, or with fractional exponents specifically, such as how they relate to radicals?

When you reply, please show what you've tried so far. Thank you! :wink:

Thank you. I guess i had a problem with fractional exponents , as after reading the link you posted i found out how to further develop my problem.

Thanks again.

Return to “Arithmetic”