Division by Zero  TOPIC_SOLVED

Topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Division by Zero

Postby Sandurz on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm new to these forums, so I'm not very familiar with the board layout. If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry!

I've been looking at tons of proofs on dividing by zero, and one of them seems to be incorrect. I've seen it in so many resources, it's not even funny, and I haven't found an answer to it ANYWHERE. Any help or a point in the direction of the answer would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
If 0*1=0
and 0*2=0
then 0*1=0*2
(0/0)*1=(0/0)*2
This is where it seems to get incorrect. Isn't any number divided by itself equal to 1? Or does this not apply to 0?
The rest of the proof:
since 0/0 is being multiplied on both sides of the equation, you can get rid of it, ending with 1=2
This is most certainly incorrect, blah blah blah.

Even if 0/0 is equal to 1, it still falsely proves 1=2. I'm just confused as to why it's equal to 0, not 1.
Sandurz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Division by Zero

Postby Martingale on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:48 am

Sandurz wrote:I'm new to these forums, so I'm not very familiar with the board layout. If this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry!

I've been looking at tons of proofs on dividing by zero, and one of them seems to be incorrect. I've seen it in so many resources, it's not even funny, and I haven't found an answer to it ANYWHERE. Any help or a point in the direction of the answer would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
If 0*1=0
and 0*2=0
then 0*1=0*2
(0/0)*1=(0/0)*2
This is where it seems to get incorrect. Isn't any number divided by itself equal to 1? Or does this not apply to 0?
The rest of the proof:
since 0/0 is being multiplied on both sides of the equation, you can get rid of it, ending with 1=2
This is most certainly incorrect, blah blah blah.

Even if 0/0 is equal to 1, it still falsely proves 1=2. I'm just confused as to why it's equal to 0, not 1.

0/0 is undefined... it is not equal to 1.
Martingale

Re: Division by Zero

Postby Sandurz on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Well, that's my question. There are a ton of resources (including one of my textbooks) that uses that as an example. I'm getting so many contradictory answers, it's not even funny.
Sandurz

Re: Division by Zero  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby Martingale on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Sandurz wrote:Well, that's my question. There are a ton of resources (including one of my textbooks) that uses that as an example. I'm getting so many contradictory answers, it's not even funny.

and I answered your question.

0/0 is undefined...it has no value.
Martingale

Return to Uncategorized