If P(A) = 0.4 , P(B) = 0.7 and P(A or B) = 0.7, determine...  TOPIC_SOLVED

Sequences, counting (including probability), logic and truth tables, algorithms, number theory, set theory, etc.

If P(A) = 0.4 , P(B) = 0.7 and P(A or B) = 0.7, determine...

Postby aa123 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 am

If P(A) = 0.4 , P(B) = 0.7 and P(A or B) = 0.7 , determine if one of the following mentioned is true or false?
how would i solve this? i dont even understand the question! any help would be so much appreciated. thank you in advance.

a. A and B are mutually exclusive events.

b. A and B are independent events.

c. P(A^c/B^c) = 3/7
aa123

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:18 pm

aa123 wrote:If P(A) = 0.4 , P(B) = 0.7 and P(A or B) = 0.7 , determine if one of the following mentioned is true or false?
a. A and B are mutually exclusive events.
b. A and B are independent events.
c. P(A^c/B^c) = 3/7

how would i solve this? i dont even understand the question!

Have you studied any probability at all? If not, then there probably isn't any way to help here, since no one (or two or three) lesson links would give you enough info, no matter how closely you studied those lessons, is why I ask. (In which case, "the answer" is to "consider enrolling in a statistics class at your local college or university".)

Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: If P(A) = 0.4 , P(B) = 0.7 and P(A or B) = 0.7, determin

Postby aa123 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:07 pm

well this is actually for my statistics class and she started explaining the day before the break. She gave a couple of examples but they were no where near these examples. i figured i could ask in a discrete math forum seeing as how it is similar. do you know any good statistics math forums?
aa123

Postby nona.m.nona on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm

aa123 wrote:well this is actually for my statistics class...

If you are in a statistics course, and have been for four months thus far, then "probability" and probability notation should have been mentioned. Has it not? If not, then lesson links can be provided.

Also, basic concepts of probability, such as "mutually exclusive", should have been mentioned. Have they not? Then lesson links can be provided.

The intention, I suspect, of the previous response was to find out the precise meaning of your statement, "i dont even understand the question!", since, if accurate, no one forum posting could explain the weeks or months of missing classroom instruction. Your assistance in this process would be appreciated. Thank you.
nona.m.nona

Postby aa123 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm

I am currently studying trimester (so i haven't been in the class for 4 months just about 2) the course is too much with too little time. of course i have entered into the statistics part and we covered all of that. but we just recently entered the probability chapter the first day she mentioned probability was the same day she finished the statistics chapter. when she explained probability she explained the Venn diagrams but there were no examples like that one i posted here. that was the last class before i went on Christmas break. i am also enrolled in a discrete mathematics class and that prof. is great at teaching and gives us assignments accordingly but, this statistics prof. i don't know. So i repeat i don't even understand this question....she said we should buy the book for the class and i didn't (too expensive) but, a classmate bought it and i looked through it and i didn't see anything even remotely close to this but, then again i kinda just flipped through the chapter.
aa123

Re: If P(A) = 0.4 , P(B) = 0.7 and P(A or B) = 0.7, determin  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:21 pm

It is unfortunate that you don't have the textbook, that the course is being covered out of order (probability is the basis of statistics, not the other way around), and that your instructor hasn't covered the material. However, this is not an issue which can be rectified in a simple forum posting.

To replace the instructional materials that you don't have, please try online lessons, such as:

. . . . .Maths Is Fun: Probability and Statistics
. . . . .Online Math Learning: An Intro. to Math Probability
. . . . .Regents Prep: Data & Probability

After you have studied at least two sets of online lessons, please attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, please write back showing what you've tried so far. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Discrete Math