Question regarding Proofs  TOPIC_SOLVED

Sequences, counting (including probability), logic and truth tables, algorithms, number theory, set theory, etc.

Question regarding Proofs

Postby CaptainCornbread on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 pm

I am working on a school assignment and I am being asked to solve the following:

Let A be the set of all integers x such that x is = k2 for some integer k
Let B be the set of all integers x such that the square root of x, SQRT(x), is an integer
Give a formal proof that A = B. Remember you must prove two things: (1) if x is in A, then x is in B, AND (2) if x is in B, then x is in A

I have done proofs before in my class that involved first proving that certain terms were odd or even and then algebraically reducing to a final proof, but I am not sure of how to go about proving this one. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
CaptainCornbread

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Question regarding Proofs  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby nona.m.nona on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:34 am

CaptainCornbread wrote:Let A be the set of all integers x such that x is = k2 for some integer k
Let B be the set of all integers x such that the square root of x, SQRT(x), is an integer
Give a formal proof that A = B. Remember you must prove two things: (1) if x is in A, then x is in B, AND (2) if x is in B, then x is in A

I have done proofs before in my class...but I am not sure of how to go about proving this one.

Try following the listed steps:

Pick an element of A. This is some number x = k2 for some integer k. What would be the value of sqrt{x}? Would this be an element of B? If every element of A is also an element of B, what sort of set is A with respect to B?

Then apply the same process in the other direction. What can you say about two sets which are subsets of each other?
nona.m.nona

Return to Discrete Math