puzzled: 4 different styles and 2 different colors  TOPIC_SOLVED

Sequences, counting (including probability), logic and truth tables, algorithms, number theory, set theory, etc.

puzzled: 4 different styles and 2 different colors

Postby teddybear101 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Hello, how is everyone today? so on a quiz that i took today i go this particular question wron gon a quiz.

The buyer for a sporting goods store must decide which athletic shoes to stock fo rthe upcoming selling season. A shoe from one manufacture comes in 6 different styles and 4 different colors. the buyer decides that the store will stock the shoes in 4 different styles and 2 different colors. how many different combinations are porssible?

ok, so when i tryed to answer the question i thought that i should mult all the different styles together, but then found out that didn't work so well. so now i am asking the help of you guys.
teddybear101

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: puzzled: 4 different styles and 2 different colors  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby maggiemagnet on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm

The number of combinations of four styles in two colors is fixed. But you have more than one way of picking the styles and colors, don't you?

I think you are supposed to figure out how many ways you can choose the four styles from the six possible, and the two colors from the four possible, and then figure out in how many ways these can be combined. :thumb:
maggiemagnet

Return to Discrete Math