find the distance

Limits, differentiation, related rates, integration, trig integrals, etc.

find the distance

Postby junsta12 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:02 am

1.) v(t)=sint, 0<=t<=5pi/4

<= (less than or equal to) *don't know how else to put*
junsta12

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm

junsta12 wrote:1.) v(t)=sint, 0<=t<=5pi/4

<= (less than or equal to) *don't know how else to put*

Using "<=" for "less than or equal to" is standard web-safe notation. So that part is fine. But what are the instructions for the function you've posted? What are you supposed to be doing with it? What have you tried? How far have you gotten? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: find the distance

Postby junsta12 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Find the total distance. I know you're suppose to take the absolute value of the function when it is negative and add to the positive. i split the integral into two, from 0 to 3pi/4 amd from 3pi/4 to 5pi/4. and solved but answer was wrong. i think i may have my limits of integration wrong when splitting into two.
junsta12

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 pm

junsta12 wrote:Find the total distance.

Find the total distance of what? Are you maybe saying that v(t), which usually stands for "velocity", is actually a position function of some sort, and you're needing to find the total distance travelled by something or other over some time frame (perhaps the interval noted)?

junsta12 wrote:I know you're suppose to take the absolute value of the function when it is negative and add to the positive.

Are you maybe saying that you need to take the absolute value of something, perhaps then splitting one function into pieces, and then adding the results of whatever you're doing to the pieces? Or are you really adding two different functions, one of which is an absolute value?

junsta12 wrote:i split the integral into two, from 0 to 3pi/4 amd from 3pi/4 to 5pi/4. and solved but answer was wrong. i think i may have my limits of integration wrong when splitting into two.

You split what integral into two? How did you define the integration limits? What did you get for your answer? On what basis do you think your answer is incorrect?

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, the complete instructions, and a clear listing of your efforts so far, so we can tell what is going on. Thank you. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Calculus