Stone thrown using calculus  TOPIC_SOLVED

Limits, differentiation, related rates, integration, trig integrals, etc.

Stone thrown using calculus

Postby amberzak on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:02 pm

This question is expected to be solved using calculus. I think it might be a maximum problem:

A stone is thrown vertically upward and after t seconds its height y meters above its starting point is given by y=100t-5t^2. Calculate the greatest height reached by the stone, and the value of t when this happens.

Where do I even start?
amberzak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Stone thrown using calculus

Postby FWT on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:27 pm

amberzak wrote:Where do I even start?

If you don't know calculus you can do this with algebra. They show how here.

amberzak wrote:This question is expected to be solved using calculus. I think it might be a maximum problem:

A stone is thrown vertically upward and after t seconds its height y meters above its starting point is given by y=100t-5t^2. Calculate the greatest height reached by the stone, and the value of t when this happens.

Yeh. Any time they want the max or the min it's a max-min problem. Do the vertex just like you always do for parabolas.
FWT

Re: Stone thrown using calculus

Postby amberzak on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I can do it with mechanics, but I have to solve it with calculus as it's for the calculus module.

Can you just give me the starting point. Where do I begin? What's the equation I have to differentiate?
amberzak

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:14 am

amberzak wrote:Where do I begin? What's the equation I have to differentiate?

They gave you an equation for "height", and asked you to find the max/min point of the height. So use the methodology you learned in class for finding max/min point of the height. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Calculus