Calculus 2 (limits): limit as x -> 0+ of 1/x + lnx  TOPIC_SOLVED

Limits, differentiation, related rates, integration, trig integrals, etc.

Calculus 2 (limits): limit as x -> 0+ of 1/x + lnx

Postby rogermiranda on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Hello, I need help with this limit.

The limit as x approaches zero from the right of 1/x + lnx. The answer is positive infinity but I am not sure how to work the problem. I tried to combine the fraction and other algebra tricks but I get indeterimante forms. I tried L'Hopitals rule as well but could not get the right answer. Please help. :confused:
rogermiranda

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Calculus 2 (limits): limit as x -> 0+ of 1/x + lnx

Postby maggiemagnet on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 pm

rogermiranda wrote:The limit as x approaches zero from the right of 1/x + lnx. The answer is positive infinity...

Is the limit of (1/x) + ln(x) or of 1/(x + ln(x))?
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Postby rogermiranda on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:41 pm

It is the limit of (1/x) + ln(x). Thanks! Please help. I really appreciated!! :D
rogermiranda

Re: Calculus 2 (limits): limit as x -> 0+ of 1/x + lnx  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby maggiemagnet on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Have you done derivatives yet? If so, then find the critical point of y = (1/x) + ln(x). Then figure out what the function y = f(x) is doing on the two intervals. If the function is always decreasing on, say, the interval (0, 1), then what can you say about the value of the function as x gets close to zero from the right?
maggiemagnet

Postby rogermiranda on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I have done lots of derivatives as I am now in second semester calculus. But I need to know how to evaluate this limit ALGEBRIACALLY and WITHOUT GRAPHING. Would you know how to work this problem using algebra? Thanks.
rogermiranda

Postby maggiemagnet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm

rogermiranda wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I have done lots of derivatives as I am now in second semester calculus. But I need to know how to evaluate this limit ALGEBRIACALLY and WITHOUT GRAPHING. Would you know how to work this problem using algebra? Thanks.

Try following the steps I wrote out earlier. None of that involves drawing a graph.
maggiemagnet

Return to Calculus