angle of depression and how tall is romeo  TOPIC_SOLVED

Trigonometric ratios and functions, the unit circle, inverse trig functions, identities, trig graphs, etc.

angle of depression and how tall is romeo

Postby little_dragon on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:49 pm

I don't have my book, just my homework. I want to check if I'm doing this right:

Juliet was looking at Romeo from her balcony one evening. Romeo was standing at a distance of 10 m away from the foot of the house. When Juliet looked at Romeo's head, the angle of depression was 40 degrees. When she looked at his toes, the angle of depression was 45 degrees. How tall is Romeo?

I've drawn a rectangle with one side being the building, the bottom being the ground, the top being the same length (but in the air at her height), and the other side showing how far he is. The top is 10. I have two lines from her to him, one to his head and the other to his feet, and I've labelled the angles. His height is "h".

Is this the right way to set it up? Do I do the trig ratios and use my calculator to find how tall he is? :shock:
little_dragon

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 am

little_dragon wrote:Is this the right way to set it up? Do I do the trig ratios and use my calculator to find how tall he is?

Sounds good to me! :clap:

Eliz.
stapel_eliz

Return to Trigonometry