How to find answer of y = 0 using double angle formulas  TOPIC_SOLVED

Trigonometric ratios and functions, the unit circle, inverse trig functions, identities, trig graphs, etc.

How to find answer of y = 0 using double angle formulas

Postby Aaahhhh Fuuu..... on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm

This equation cos2theta = 1, the closest equation using cos2theta double angle formula is the cos^2x - sin^2x version. But it is not exact. Can anyone show me the steps on how to complete the equation? The answer of 0 = 2y^2 is the nearest to y = 0 that I can solve without completing using dividing by two then square rooting.
Aaahhhh Fuuu.....

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How to find answer of y = 0 using double angle formulas

Postby maggiemagnet on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Aaahhhh Fuuu..... wrote:This equation cos2theta = 1, the closest equation using cos2theta double angle formula is the cos^2x - sin^2x version. But it is not exact. Can anyone show me the steps on how to complete the equation? The answer of 0 = 2y^2 is the nearest to y = 0 that I can solve without completing using dividing by two then square rooting.

Why not solve the equation as it is? You have cos(2@) = 1. For what values of 2@ is the cosine equal to 1? Then divide by 2 to find the values for @.

:clap:
maggiemagnet

Postby Aaahhhh Fuuu..... on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:33 pm

"Throw yo' hands up!?"
Attach yourself to this aspect of the equation if I did not mention it: The problem is asking to convert from polar to rectangular. Looking over my question I see I did not mention this part.
Aaahhhh Fuuu.....

Postby maggiemagnet on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Aaahhhh Fuuu..... wrote:"Throw yo' hands up!?"
Attach yourself to this aspect of the equation if I did not mention it: The problem is asking to convert from polar to rectangular. Looking over my question I see I did not mention this part.

I didn't know. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. :oops:
maggiemagnet

Postby Aaahhhh Fuuu..... on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:33 am

The only thing I need some instruction for this problem of cos2theta = 1 using polar to rectangular form. The result shown in the book is y = 0 but without any methods just the answer is useless. Thank you for your sympathies :thumb:
Aaahhhh Fuuu.....

Re: How to find answer of y = 0 using double angle formulas  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby Martingale on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:48 am

Aaahhhh Fuuu..... wrote:The only thing I need some instruction for this problem of cos2theta = 1 using polar to rectangular form. The result shown in the book is y = 0 but without any methods just the answer is useless. Thank you for your sympathies :thumb:

hmmmm...

well....we 'know' right....that

and

we also have and so

thus

and

sooooooo.....

... start replacing the above with what we know and the solution will follow...
Martingale

Postby Aaahhhh Fuuu..... on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Thank you Martingale.
Aaahhhh Fuuu.....

Return to Trigonometry