names of congruent triangle rules  TOPIC_SOLVED

Geometric formulae, word problems, theorems and proofs, etc.

names of congruent triangle rules

Postby little_dragon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:25 am

My book showed lots of ways you can know two triangles are congruent, like SSS, SAS, RHS. In SAS, it is true that you have to have the A in the middle so the same-size angles are between the same-size sides? My mother said that otherwise you'd have "A$$", which is a way of remembering that you shouldn't do it that way, but that sounds made-up. :wave:
little_dragon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: names of congruent triangle rules  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby DAiv on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 pm

little_dragon wrote:My book showed lots of ways you can know two triangles are congruent, like SSS, SAS, RHS. In SAS, it is true that you have to have the A in the middle so the same-size angles are between the same-size sides? My mother said that otherwise you'd have "A$$", which is a way of remembering that you shouldn't do it that way, but that sounds made-up. :wave:

Yes, the angle must be between the two given sides (SAS), as with ASS / SSA, there may be 0, 1, or 2 possible triangles that could be drawn, depending on the dimensions of the known sides and angle.

The RHS / HL rule is actually a special case of ASS / SSA, but that only works because the right angle forces there to be only one possible solution. Any other angle instead of the right angle would either result in two possible solutions (if the remaining side is longer than the minimum length needed to close up the triangle), or no possible solution (if the remaining side would be shorter than the minimum length needed to close up the triangle).

Here are some diagrams which will hopefully make things clearer. (Scroll down to the picture of a donkey / ass.)

DAiv
DAiv

Re: names of congruent triangle rules

Postby little_dragon on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:25 pm

The picture was funny. Thanks! :wave:
little_dragon

Return to Geometry